Thursday, April 27, 2006

New devotional resource for you!

I am always looking for new devotional tools for myself and for folks at our church. One I recently came across was from a radio program. Jon Courson is the pastor who spoke and really challenged me. I went to the website to listen to the program again. I found that He had a devotional book and excerpts every day on his website. I have enjoyed them all. So I wanted to pass on this resource.
The website is www.joncourson.com
Here is today's devotional from that site

April 27

And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they came near. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt. Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life.
Genesis 45:4–5

“Don’t be upset with yourselves,” he said to his brothers. “Your selling me into this foreign land as a slave was all part of God’s plan.” I love these words of Joseph because they express the heart of Jesus. “Father, forgive them,” He prayed from the cross, “for they don’t know what they’re doing” (see Luke 23:34). Those who crucified Jesus were indeed forgiven. The price was paid. And Peter would go on to declare that it was all part of a divine design, a grand plan, that Jesus would die for the sins of every man (Acts 2:22–24). “I know you are aware of your flaws and failings,” Jesus would say to us, “but don’t be grieved. I’ve forgiven you.” Christianity is unique in that it is not a matter of us cleaning ourselves up and getting our acts together. It is a matter of constantly rejoicing in the fact that the blood of Jesus cleanses us continually, that our sin is washed away constantly by what He did for us on the cross of Calvary. Thus, Christianity is celebration of what He’s done, not condemnation for what we have or haven’t done.“Don’t be angry with yourselves,” Joseph said to his brothers. “God had a plan in all of this.”And God has a plan in everything you’re involved in as well. That is, to make you appreciate what He’s done for you, not so you can boast in your own righteousness, your own purity, or your own holiness, but to say, “Lord, Your forgiveness and kindness, Your goodness and mercy are awesome.”

2 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trent,
I just found your blog and enjoyed reading it. It has helped me pray that God will help our family as we move through some uncharted waters. Keep up the good work and know that you are loved

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trent,
I just found your blog and enjoyed reading it. It has helped me pray that God will help our family as we move through some uncharted waters. Keep up the good work and know that you are loved

 

Post a Comment

<< Home