Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dug out!


Well I must say it is good to be home. We barely got to go see family at Christmas due to a huge snow storm here in Colorado. Then on the way back we got snowed in due to a storm that dumped in New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado and Kansas. Folks are still digging out. I was very thankful for my in-laws who had a well stocked pantry and a generator. I enjoyed visiting but was very ready to get home.

I did learn some great lessons over the holidays, such as always get 4 wheel drive. But the greatest lessons I learned from my extended family and my in-laws.
While at my Grandmother's home, my parents, aunt, uncle and cousins surprised me by all deciding that we were all so blessed and that we didn't need to get presents for each other any more but would now start taking up a collection to help a needy family where ever we were meeting and to help a church do missions. Wow - I didn't suggest this but was so proud of my family.
Then while being snowed in at my wife's folks in Oklahoma I learned about being a better minister. My father in law and brother in law are both deacons at their church in Keyes. Their wives are such great helpers - you could call them deaconesses but we don't do that cause we are baptists. Anyway while all of the area was out of electricity, My in-laws called all their folks from church especially those who were elderly or sick and made sure they were taken care of with food and oxygen for those who needed it. My wife along with her mom and my sister in Law made up plates and drove in the snow storm to deliver food to those in need. Us guys delivered firewood to some and helped dig out others. Lots of other things happened too but you get the idea. I saw a great picture of Jesus from my family.

What did you see over the holidays? What picture did you present to those around you?
Something to think about.

"Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others." Saint Augustine
God bless your new year
Trent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home