Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Almost alive!


Hey I can sort of talk today - I'm starting to feel like Lazarus! Either that or Frankenstein! It is Alive?!
Any way I'm on the road to recovery. So here are some thoughts that I am working through as I prepare for the various events of this week. I don't think they are cold drug enduced. HaH!


If you read this and can respond, let me know some things that tend to steal your Christmas peace and joy. I am compiling a list for my sermon. So let me know your thoughts.

Luke 2:13 and 14 says

13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14 "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

So do you get the peace of Christmas? God's favor brings peace. Its one of the fruit of the Spirit that we receive. Supposedly!? Well my thought is that the Grinch within us flares up about this time of year because of different things around us. That grinch steals the peace and joy. So what can we do? Good question.
I like Monday Night Football (especially on ESPN now). I really like the part during half time when the commentators show the great hits from the games the day before. They get "Jacked Up". Ok so what does that have to do with the grinch and peace and stuff?
Glad you asked. Stuff is going to hit us this time of year. Colds, stress, strained relationships. They blind side us sometimes and we allow ourselves to get "Jacked Up"

But remember its a choice. James 1:2-4 says
2Consider it(Choose to look at it as) pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


I love it when a wide receiver makes a great catch and gets smacked hard but gets up and laughs at his tackler! Yeah is that all ya got? Good job but I can take it!
So enlarge your heart through thanksgiving and even when you get jacked up - get up and laugh in the face of that tackler!

1 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After working on redefining "Christmas peace and joy" away from what society says we should do, the greed and gotta haves just turn my stomach. When I fall into the same trap and bemoan my lack of ability to buy buy buy I turn my own stomach. How many of actually have the courage to quietly not follow this path? Unfulfilled expectations are another thing that will mess it up. It is "supposed" to be a certain way, but rarely is. Where DO they get those commercials from?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home