Tuesday, November 07, 2006

comfortable in a big group?

One of my best friends in high school had a dad who never would go to church with his family. I could tell that it affected my friend. His dad would say that he was a believer but didn't have to go to church to worship. The sad thing was that I could tell that he didn't worship at all.

So my question today is this: Is corporate worship really necessary in the life of a believer?

I think it is important for us to really think about this and answer it. Is there something about being together with other believers that helps us live for Christ? Is there something about worshipping with other believers that kicks us in the rear to do better? Is there something about worshipping with other believers that helps us worship better?

These are questions that alot of folks who don't go to church are asking? Unfortunately many believers huff and say "how could you ask that you stinking sinner?" They have legitimate questions and its ok for them to ask. My God is big enough to handle the questions.

Let me throw in my thoughts. I want to shout from the top of the mountain a resounding YES! Yes there is something about worshipping with other believers that helps me live better, keeps me going when tempted and helps me worship better!

I was reading in Hebrews 10 this morning and was reminded of something. Take a look -
starting in verse 22

22Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. 23Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) 24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. NIV
This is what it says in the Message Translation
Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching.

So there seems to be a link in "faith without wavering" that comes with being together with other believers. I know that when I am alone my self talk can become negative and I can justify a lot of crap in my life. But my accountability partners won't put up with that. That's the kick in the rear that I need. So what about worship. Remember worship is to be happening all the time. We get together with other believers and testify about how Great is our God ( I love that song by the way) and worship happens - it just spills over and many are encouraged.

I also love to hear big groups like promise keepers or groups of college kids all singing at the top of their lungs - praising God! Way cool - lots of chill bumps!

Last thought
If I were to want to be a professional bowler - I would have to hang out where?

Yes a bowling alley. I can practice there and I can get good tips from other bowlers there.
If I want to be a professional worshipper of God, then I need to be in places where other worshippers are to get encouragement because what Hebrews says is true - we see the Big day approaching. I want to be good and ready to worship my Lord when He comes to get me.

By golly thats a lot
bless ya today
Trent

1 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trent,
I appreciate what you had to say about worship. In fact I shared that same scripture with my congregation this past Sunday as I exhorted them to be more concerned about their heart, than the art of music. I recently heard a man say. Worship is love expressed. It's not worship if it is not love and it's not love unless it is expressed.

Stay the course,

Rod

 

Post a Comment

<< Home