Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Who are you listening to?

I don't know about you but as I get older - you know 16 turning 17 - ok get off the floor and quit giggling uncontrollably. Thats what my wife and kids do. Anyway as I get older my hearing is starting to do that losing the radio station thing. You know a little less clear and somewhat distorted. Too many concerts when I was a kid you know last year! Sometimes when there is a lot of talking going on or lots of fun happening, I have trouble distinguishing voices. This morning I'm learning that is not just true of my physical ears but also my spiritual ears.

This week we will be starting a look at the Roman Road. D0 you know what that is? It is a name for the passages primarily in the book of Romans that teach us about salvation. Lots of folks use these to help lead someone to placing their faith and trust in Jesus as Lord.

The first of the passages is Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I used to think that most folks didn't get that they were sinners but I am now seeing that for most people it is just the opposite. They not only know that they are sinners, screwups, bad folks but they have trouble moving past that. Its an issue of distinguishing voices! Everyone has what I call self talk. You know the thoughts and conversation you have going on all the time in your mind. That self talk keeps lots of folks from experiencing the grace, mercy and freedom that there is in Jesus. That voice in our heads tells us that we are screw ups! In fact it is so loud that it is hard to hear God. It is that self talk that causes people to say things to me like "I am embarrassed to be in church because of . . ." or I don't have anything to offer to help in the ministry of my church, I'm useless." Is that true? NO! Is it reality? No!

We like to shift the blame for that voice in our heads. We will say Satan is messing with my head, or the devil made me do it. Satan has lots of power and we never need to take him for granted but don't give him more than he has. Satan can't put thoughts in your mind. Satan can't read your mind. He can't make you do something - he can only present opportunities.

Scripture says that we each have a sinful nature. It is that sinful nature that causes us to have that defeating self talk. It also causes us to make decisions that are hurtful. The antidote or hearing aid in this case is Scripture - the truth. Our self talk is giving us lies that are not reality. We have to meditate on scripture. We need to hide truth in our hearts to drown out the other voice.

Clean out your hearing aid! Hear God's voice over your own!

More to come as I work on these sermons!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home